Sunday, August 19, 2012

John Mayer - Stop This Train






Is it just me? Am I the only one who feels that time streaks past like a Bob Seger silver bullet? The reason I mention a favorite Michigan rooted band is that I listened to him lots babysitting back in middle and high school. Now it's John Mayer. It's like a writer friend of mine wrote so poetically, "Now might as well be then."

I count myself among the thousands who are dropping their kids off at college this August.

Posted on my facebook page is a picture stole from a group called, I Grew Up in South Florida in the 60's, 70's and 80's. It's a classic choo-choo, complete with whistle and locomotion. It runs tracks in Ft. Lauderdale at Birch State Park. My sister and I rode the train and then walked past Cicada electric bushes to flip our flops through a foot tunnel under A1A to the beach. Those were the days.

I remember it as vivid as I do my own children sucking thumbs and pronouncing their "R's" like I can't really describe....but elementary enough for additional help from a speech therapist.

It's all whizzing by way too fast.

When my cherubs were itty bitty, I took naps as a means of preparing for the second shift.

Often upon waking, I felt as if I were in a time warp. How did I get here? Can I survive?

Little has changed. Really the only thing that morphs is change.

And the fact that these wee beings who I birthed, nursed, and cradled (their tiny backs fit in the palm of my hand) are now taller than me, hairier than me, and speak in low octaves.

That's all I'm going to say about that. I am not the only one, I know.

Here is a glimpse of time travel...a photo at Birch State Park.

If only we could go back. Sniff, sniff.

No comments:

Post a Comment